Injured by Truck Driver Error?
Our New Jersey Truck Accident Attorney Offers Free Case Reviews
With so many commercial trucks on the road at any one time, truck driver error causes many motor vehicle accidents. These often lead to personal injury and wrongful death claims. Our truck accident attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience with these cases. We have a reputation as some of the best personal injury lawyers in New Jersey. Contact a New Jersey truck accident attorney at Spevack Law Firm to assess your case at (732)636-3030.
Middlesex County Attorney Can Help Determine If Truck Driver Error Caused a Car Crash
There are many causes of truck accidents in New Jersey. Truck driver error is a leading cause of car crashes with passenger vehicles. Top causes of trucking accidents due to truck driver error include:
- Impaired truck drivers are more likely to cause car accidents because intoxication reduces their ability to react quickly to changing traffic conditions. Commercial trucks weigh in at over 10,000 pounds and require intense concentration to operate safely. Stimulants may make it easier for truck drivers to stay awake on a long haul. However, they also hamper their driving abilities, which can lead to a fatal semi accident.
- Driving while tired can be just as dangerous, since fatigue slows reaction time and reflexes. It does not matter if the motor vehicle accidents happened early in the morning or late at night. In either case, driver fatigue may have been a factor. Unsurprisingly, tight deadlines may keep drivers from getting as much sleep as they should.
- Some truck drivers follow too closely, drive too fast or engage in other “aggressive driving” tactics. It is a good idea always to drive defensively around commercial trucks. However, even these techniques cannot always protect you from the dangerous behavior of negligent truck drivers.
New Jersey Truck Accident Attorney Handling Texting While Driving and Other Distracted Driving Claims
Truck drivers often use cellphones or otherwise multitask when they should focus attention on the road. New Jersey’s texting laws make using a cellphone while operating a motor vehicle illegal. However, irresponsible truckers do this every day.
Distracted driving accidents can occur when truck drivers perform any of the following tasks while behind the wheel:
- Reading anything, including maps or navigation devices
- Eating or drinking
- Watching a video display
- Adjusting audio volume or changing tracks or stations
Commercial DUI Regulations and Dangers of NJ Truck Drivers Under the Influence
According to simulator studies from the University of Utah, using a cellphone while driving can hinder reaction time as much as having a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent, even if the driver is using a hands-free device.
To put into perspective, the legal BAC limit for New Jersey truckers is .04 percent, which is half the BAC for passenger vehicle drivers. However, truck drivers stopped with a .04 BAC can still be charged with Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act. This is the case even for those with commercial driver’s licenses who drive their own vehicles. These laws may seem strict. However, the consequences of truckers using stimulants or intoxicants while under the influence are just that serious and dangerous.
Contact an Experienced New Jersey Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you were in a car accident involving a truck driver who may have committed one of these errors, it is important that you speak with a qualified and experienced Middlesex County personal injury attorney. The Spevack Law Firm has obtained a number of significant accident compensation verdicts and settlements for our clients since we opened our doors in 1928.
For more than 85 years, our law firm has successfully litigated personal injury and wrongful death claims across Middlesex County. We have offices in Iselin, New Brunswick and Teaneck NJ. If you wish to speak to one of our personal injury attorneys, please call (732) 636-3030.