A train accident in Hoboken, NJ on Sunday left over 30 people injured, according to The New York Times. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey operated the train involved in the accident. According to Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer, none of the personal injuries appear to be life threatening. The exact cause of the train accident is still under investigation, although the likely cause is mechanical failure.
One passenger that was riding on the train, Mahoud Metwali, 26, said that the train pulled into a station traveling at about the normal cruising speed, as if the brakes were not working properly. The first car crashed into part of the station platform and demolished three turnstiles before finally coming to a complete stop.
Port Authority spokesman John Kelly said that approximately one third of the 90 passengers on the train at the time of the train accident were injured, although they were mostly minor personal injuries. Kelly said that the train eventually hit barrier that is designed to absorb impact if a train accident like this is to occur.
According to passengers, they were jolted forward after the impact. The doors remained closed for approximately four minutes following the train accident.
Thirty-four people total were treated at three local hospitals. Emergency medical personnel took six of the passengers suffering from more serious personal injuries to Jersey City Medical Center. “Everybody is doing O.K. and so far, no significant injuries,” said Bill Wang, and ER doctor at the Jersey City Medical Center.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey as well as the National Transportation Safety Board are currently investigating the train accident. One official hinted that operator error might be to blame. Authorities have yet to release the identity of the train operator.
The train lines were already running on high alert in light of the recent Pakistan raid in which US forces killed Osama bin Laden.
Train riders commuting to work today should expect small delays.